The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)1 recently awarded the 2021 Nissan Altima with its 2020 TOP SAFETY PICK+ (TSP+) rating, and the 2021 Nissan Sentra a 2020 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK (TSP) rating, thanks to advances in each model’s headlight technology.
According to IIHS, approximately half of all fatal crashes in the U.S. occur in the dark, and more than one-quarter on unlit roads. For this reason, IIHS places a strong emphasis on headlight capability when evaluating vehicles.
The 2021 Altima features Nissan Intelligent Mobility technology which includes standard Intelligent All-Wheel Drive8 and Safety Shield 360 technologies, available ProPILOT Assist2. With High Beam Assist as standard equipment Altima earns the TSP+ distinction. Altima has earned the IIHS TSP or TSP+ award each year since 2013.
Nissan has made additional improvements to the optional thin projector LED headlights offered on the Nissan Sentra SR trim with Premium Package (model years 2020 and 2021). The 2020 Sentra SR model built after the upgrade, and 2021 Sentra models, now qualify for TOP SAFETY PICK when equipped with those headlights. The Sentra is packed with the most standard safety technology in its class1 with standard Nissan Safety Shield 360 across all trims.
“In 2021 Nissan will offer Safety Shield 360 as standard equipment on 11 models in Canada,” said Jared Haslam, vice president, product planning, Nissan U.S. and Canada. “Advanced driver assistance systems can help significantly reduce crashes and we are working to make these technologies available throughout our lineup. We are proud to see both Altima and Sentra recognized by IIHS and its rigorous testing criteria.”
Nissan Safety Shield 360 is a suite of six active safety technologies comprised of:
- Automatic Emergency Braking3 with Pedestrian Detection – uses forward-facing radar and camera technology to help detect vehicles and crossing pedestrians, can give audible and visual warnings and apply braking to help avoid or reduce the severity of frontal collisions
- Lane Departure Warning4 – can alert driver of drifting from lane with a visual warning and audible or haptic signals
- High Beam Assist – automatically switches to low beam headlights when it detects a vehicle ahead and turns the high beams back on when appropriate
- Blind Spot Warning5 – helps detect vehicles in driver's blind spot areas
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert6 – can warn the driver about detected approaching vehicles when reversing out of a parking spot
- Rear Automatic Braking7 – helps detect stationary objects when backing up and, if necessary, applies the brakes to help avoid a collision
2021 Nissan Altima